[Beowulf] A start in Parallel Programming?

Peter St. John peter.st.john at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 15:41:17 EDT 2007

 > How many Moore doublings until we reach it ... Robert ... ??
>
> Seven.  Exactly seven.

I'm sure you're kidding, but I'm thinking: ballpark 10 32-bit GHz per
kilogram, current commodity (surely not 100, considering power supply, rack
mount, fan, etc). So ballpark 3 x 10^8 bits per second per gram?
So we're short about 10^39 of Bremermann, so about 130 doublings?

This reminds me of the story of the guy listening to a cosmology talk, who
suddenly jumps up, waving his hand, and says: "Did you just say the universe
will end in 10^12 years??!!" and the lecturer replies, "no, no, I said 10^20
years" and the guy sits back down, "whew!" all relieved.

The number 42 ought to be in their somewhere.

Peter

!DSPAM:45f85003109921923983023!