[Beowulf] Benchmark between Dell Poweredge 1950 And 1435

Greg Lindahl greg.lindahl at qlogic.com
Mon Mar 12 14:26:23 EDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 01:40:27PM -0400, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> Have you looked over the HT consortium site?  It is truly a lovely spec
> but they didn't quite make the most of their brief window of opportunity
> to kill off the bus.  Everybody went PCI-X instead of HT.

Guys, this is misunderstanding history. AMD was not positioning HT as
an expansion bus until we came along. Even after that, it was clear
that PCI Express was going to have most of the market, so it's only the
folks with high-end needs who might even consider directly attaching to HT.

No FUD required, no lack of energy, nothing weird, and this isn't a
*bad* result. It just is. The highest volume solution tends to be
the one that's good enough, and PCI Express is good enough for most
uses.

-- greg