[Beowulf] network filesystem

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Mar 5 22:43:30 EST 2007

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007, jaime.perea at gmail.com wrote:

> I have a small (16 dual xeon machines) cluster. [...]
> Does anybody knows what is better for a cluster of this size, exporting the
> filesystem via NFS

FWIW we run two NFS servers (dual 2.0GHz Opteron 240's) with users split
across the two and they cope with 3 clusters, two with ~180 CPUs and one with
~30 CPUs, all run at an average of 83% utilisation over the last 12 months
(one at around 92% utilisation for the last 3 months).

So yes, NFS should be fine.  Just don't try and run Gaussian on it. :-)

cheers,
Chris