[Beowulf] backtraces

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Fri Jun 8 12:11:10 EDT 2007

I had a user grumble about how it was not trivial to get
a basic backtrace on our clusters.  his jobs tend to be 32-128p,
and run for a week, so it's not ideal to run them under the debugger.

turns out to be fairly simple to produce a backtrace.so which can
be LD_PRELOAD'ed - it contains a constructor which registers a
signal handler, which obtains the backtrace and translates and
prints the corresponding file:func:line.

does this sound like something of interest to other HPC sites?

regards, mark hahn.