[Beowulf] purse strings

Geoff Galitz geoff at galitz.org
Wed Jul 25 11:16:03 EDT 2007

> 1) The people (or person) that will evaluate the technical material, and
>   recommend a decision
> 2) The person (or people) that will make the *final* decision
> 3) The person that will sign the check.
> Whom you address, how, and with what material is well beyond the scope of
> this, or any, email list.
>> Do you think this differs from academia to the commercial sector?
> Yes

I'm not so sure the process really differs between academia and the
commerial sector.  I work in both regularly and in my experience they are
quite similar.

1) Technical staff evaluate specs and options
2) The PI make the final decision on what to purchase and where
3) The fundor signs the check (e.g. NSF, IIH, Foundations)

1) Technical staff evaluate specs and options
2) The project/group head makes the final decision
3) Senior management and/or the finance department approves the capital
expenditure and signs the check

I get asked if academic instituions and commerical outfits are different.  I
usually answer in that they are the same in that each one is different.