[Beowulf] Nvidia Tesla GPU clusters?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Jul 21 16:50:34 EDT 2007

Greg Lindahl wrote:
>> http://www.nvidia.com/object/tesla_computing_solutions.html
>
> If anyone wants to play with this, I just bought a low-end NVidia
> 8600GT for only $140, so it's not expensive to dip your toe in the
> water. It's 1/8 as many cores as the top of the line.

Greg Lindahl, you are a bad man.

I bought one of these lovely heatsink cooled cards from a shop in
Tottenham Court Road today:
http://global.msi.com.tw/index.php?func=downloaddetail&type=manual&maincat_no=130&prod_no=1197

Sadly it looked like the heatsink on the rear would not fit in beside
the CPU cooler on my new Sun Ultra 20 (polishes nails on non-existent
lapel).
Raced back to the shop (YoYoTech) who replaced it with an Asus card.
Less cool as it has a fan (pun intended).

I just have this bizarre image of the entirety of th Beowulf list
suddenly donning baggy jeans and carrying skateboards so we can discuss
the latest graphics cards. Dude.