[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Tue Jul 17 17:09:22 EDT 2007

Tim Cutts wrote,

> I think that's a little unnecessarily harsh.  PuTTY isn't bad at
> all.  Its connection user interface is a bit bizarre, but its
> terminal emulation is fine, and it supports all the features of ssh
> that I commonly use.  It was the one thing that made my job bearable
> back in the days when I had to use a Windows XP laptop.

I'm with Tim on this one - PuTTY is very useful.

The only hiccup I've had with PuTTY involves a strange interaction
between a remote linux/unix machine connecting to Xwin32 8.1 over a
putty ssh tunnel.  A block of text cut on XP from the
ConTEXT editor pasted into a linux/unix window with a
center mouse button click will sometimes
drop one line,  typically something like the 7th line out of 10, and
not even leave a blank line.  It's like that missing line never existed.
This is not too hard to spot with English or code but is a lot
less obvious with DNA or Protein sequences.  Cut/paste in the
linux -> XP direction has not been observed to glitch.  Cut/paste
from Context to other windows apps have not glitched this way. I
have no idea where the bug is - it could be in PuTTY , ConTEXT,
XWin32, XP itself, or some oddball combination of the above.

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org