[Beowulf] Sidebar: Vista Rant

Lawrence Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Tue Jul 17 08:55:03 EDT 2007

On Jul 16, 2007, at 7:24 PM, Jon Forrest wrote:

> The primary reason I run Vista, instead of Linux,
> is that no version of Linux I've seen looks as
> good on an LCD screen as Windows with Cleartype.
> I've run tests on the same hardware, switching between
> Linux and Windows. It isn't even close.

I don't use Windows myself, but I found these fascinating and
instructive.  (I hope
that the beowulf list stays away from fonts, but I can't resist.)

http://antigrain.com/research/font_rasterization/index.html

and this one shows what happens in Vista if you dare to change
the screen resolution:

http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061211/vista-dpi-scaling

I was unable to stop ROFL.  Yow.

-Larry

In my informal visual survey of the laptops used by senior technical
folks at HPC labs, the Mac is coming out the clear winner.