[Beowulf] mpiJava + MPICH

Robert Latham robl at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Jan 4 12:46:11 EST 2007

On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:46:29AM -0500, Sean Dilda wrote:
> I'm working on setting up mpiJava for a cluster user.   I'm compiling it
> against Sun's Java 1.5.0 and MPICH 1.2.5, on a cluster running CentOS 4

Is mpiJava dependent on a specific vesion of MPI?  Not only is
MPICH-1.2.5 a quite old version of the MPICH release, the entire
series has been superceeded by MPICH2 (unless you require
heterogenerous support).   does mpijava work with MPICH2-1.0.5 ?

> I've also noticed that when a normal MPI program runs, the process tree
> shows mpirun, which has a child of your program.  That child of mpirun
> then has a child that's your program running locally, and a bunch of
> children that are all the 'rsh' command for launching remote copies.
> Whenever I run a mpiJava program, the only thing in the process tree is
> mpirun and a single child of mpirun.
> Has anyone run across this, or have any ideas of what I could do to fix
> this problem?

The job management in MPICH is a little hairy.  Things have been
cleaned up somewhat in MPICH2.  For example, running MPICH2 progams
under valgrind is a lot easier than doing so with MPICH1-based
programs.  Perhaps the same will hold for mpijava, though I know
nothing about that project.

Rob Latham
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org