[Beowulf] Which distro for the cluster?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Mon Jan 1 21:10:48 EST 2007

On Friday 29 December 2006 21:05, Geoff Jacobs wrote:

> Here's a bare bones kickstart method (not Kickstart[tm] per se):
> http://linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/kickstart.html

Good old Rick, he crops up everywhere & is a mine of information. ;-)

> Regarding kickstart, among choices for pre-scripted installers it is one
> of many. I personally favor the likes of SystemImager, even though it's
> not quite in the same category (FAI is though, IMO). Even dd with netcat
> is pretty powerful for homogeneous nodes.

FAI is the one I've heard of before, but never had the chance to play with it
yet.   I hear tell that Warewulf is distro neutral and will deploy J.Random
Distro onto hardware (and maybe even 'doze, shudder).

> Once you've chosen your distro based on experience/need, there are
> usually a few ways to put it on your spindles.

Oh indeed!

cheers,
Chris