[Beowulf] Teraflop chip hints at the future

Lawrence Stewart larry.stewart at sicortex.com
Tue Feb 13 00:13:07 EST 2007

On Feb 12, 2007, at 10:22 PM, Chris Samuel wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2007, Mitchell Wisidagamage wrote:
>> I think this news is of some relevance to the group...
> Single or double precision ?
> --

eetimes has a better article, that says it is single precision.  each
core is
cited as being 3 mm**2 in 65 nm.    The mips-64 cores we're using in
90 nm
are 6 mm**2, with a double precision FP unit.  So by area, the Intel
are similar in complexity

Intel is stacking dram dice above the cpu as an L4 cache, but the
article doesn't really
explain how they plan to expand the off-chip bw other than by going
to photonics