[Beowulf] Building a new cluster - seeking some advice

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Dec 23 04:21:13 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 13:01 -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:

> PATA/SATA-interface flash is accelerating, I think.  Intel just introduced
> a building block for that, and other vendors have had somewhat obscure
> products out for a long time.  a flash-based "PATA-fob" seems reasonably
> secure to me for this kind of minimal case.  2.5 and 3.5" form-factors for
> larger flash-based disks are also popular.

Talking about 'PATA fobs' a project I have in mind over Christmas is to
use a compact-flash to IDE adapter to boot Damn Small Linux
http://damnsmalllinux.org/  on a mini-ITX board.
It has xmms built in.
I would like to build a wif-fi radio from scratch, as I have all the
bits. Won't be as slick as buying one off the shelf, but will be more