[Beowulf] Building a new cluster - seeking some advice

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sun Dec 23 04:11:10 EST 2007

On Sat, 2007-12-22 at 10:20 -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> I personally hope they do it, although I do think that we're about to go
> through yet another paradigm shift.  With flash coming down to around
> $10/GB or less wholesale in sizes up to 16 GB, I think we'll start
> seeing pure flash-boot systems appear any day now.  As in systems with
> built-in 4 GB flash memory holding the basic OS installation, systems
> with 8 GB flash memory holding the OS and several GB of userspace.  A
> whole new kind of thin.

A friend has the all black model. He brought it forth in the pub the
other night, to the universal admiration of assembled geeks. Shiny.
Nice. No wi-fi in the Jerusalem Tavern to test it with though:
at 300 years old the electric light is a new-fangled invention.

Maybe a bit too late for the North Pole order tracking system to get it
into the sleigh loading bill for your neck of the woods though.
And have you been a good boy this year?

ps. if anyones interested, these are being rebadged by Research Machines
in the UK, which are a major supplier to the schools market.