[Beowulf] Using Autoparallel compilers or Multi-Threaded librarieswith MPI

Eray Ozkural examachine at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 12:49:30 EST 2007

On Dec 14, 2007 6:41 PM, Tom Elken <tom.elken at qlogic.com> wrote:
> [...]

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

> I guess I was relying on memory of readers about my original post about
> this subject.  Since that post was way back in November, that was a
> dangerous assumption.  Thankfully we have an archive:
> http://www.beowulf.org/archive/2007-November/020211.html
> 'Autoparallel features with MPI' came from this in the original post:
> "I was wondering how many people use either auto-parallel compiler
> features, or multi-threaded math libraries (Goto, MKL, ACML, etc.) to
> provide some thread-level parallelism on a cluster where you primarily
> use MPI to achieve your parallel execution.*"
> So I meant that the source code is parallelized using MPI.  Then in an
> effort to create something like a hybrid MPI/OpenMP program, but without
> having to add the OpenMP directives, you use the automatic
> parallelization feature of common compilers:
> -parallel  in the Intel compiler
> -apo       in the PathScale compiler
> -Mconcur   in the PGI compiler,  etc.
> to find loops which can profitably be parallelized using threads.

Well, then, I seem to recall, only in a very blurred fashion, some pragmas of
the SGI compiler. I even recall there was support in STL, or maybe I am
making up things. Quite possible.

I hadn't realized there was auto parallel features in so many compilers,
thank you for  the information. Do these guys work well?

Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
http://www.cs.bilkent.edu.tr/~erayo  Malfunct: http://myspace.com/malfunct