[Beowulf] multi-threading vs. MPI

Toon Knapen toon.knapen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 07:26:42 EST 2007

On this list there is almost unanimous agreement that MPI is the way to go
for parallelism and that combining multi-threading (MT) and message-passing
(MP) is not even worth it, just sticking to MP is all that is necessary.

However, in real-life most are talking and investing in MT while very few
are interested in MP. I also just read on the blog of Arch Robison " TBB
perhaps gives up a little performance short of optimal so you don't have to
write message-passing " (here:
http://softwareblogs.intel.com/2007/11/17/supercomputing-07-computer-environment-and-evolution/
 )

How come there is almost unanimous agreement in the beowulf-community while
the rest is almost unanimous convinced of the opposite ? Are we just tapping
ourselves on the back or is MP not sufficiently dissiminated or ... ?

toon

!DSPAM:4759a800241507095717635!