[Beowulf] Re: NFS Read Errors

Bogdan Costescu Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Dec 6 17:44:14 EST 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Joe Landman wrote:

> I think ethtool was a post 2.4 kernel utility.  As I remember, there was an
> miitool that gave something roughly like that in functionality.

I just looked in the pristine 2.4.20 source and found 8139cp with
references to the 8169 chip used on the Netgear GA311 and a routine
called "cp_ethtool_ioctl" with switch statements for RX and TX
checksumming... whether ethtool was "officially" used at that moment,
I can't remember, but some drivers certainly had the support.

miitool was supposed to be used only for management of the media
(which MII transceiver, what speed, restart autonegotiation, etc.)

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868