[Beowulf] [AMD64] Gentoo or Fedora

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Wed Aug 29 23:39:33 EDT 2007

> I want to ask what kind of experiencies do you has in the
> implementation of a beowulf cluster (using Gentoo or Fedora in AMD64
> architectures) for metheorological applications and wich one of the
> distros do you recommend me.

it should not matter.  distros are all about desktop decor,
which is irrelevant to cluster applications.  you should use
a distro which your admins are comfortable with - the packaging
format, for instance.  I personally find yum very good, and thus
prefer RH-like distros.  I doubt that meteorological apps have
any special properties beyond the normal working kernel/filesystem/
compiler/scheduler/mpi stuff, which should be achievable in any distro.