[Beowulf] Intel Quad-Core or AMD Opteron

Carsten Aulbert carsten.aulbert at aei.mpg.de
Wed Aug 22 14:23:23 EDT 2007

Ruhollah Moussavi Baygi wrote:
> As you may be aware of, Intel has reduced the price of its Quad CPUs,
> dramatically.
> Does anyone have any experience using Intel Quad-Core CPUs in a Beowulf
> Cluster?

Not yet, only with single nodes so far, but more to come :)

> Do you prefer these ones over AMD Opteron?

Right now, they seem to be far superior in most applications.

> Essentially, are Intel Quad CPUs having really FOUR cores? Are they
> really 64-bit processors, as Opterons are?

Yes, Yes.
Four cores where each two are sharing a common 4 MB cache. There might
be some problems with the memory interface, but that depends on your

For our codes the scaling is not perfect but close to 3.2 out of 4, i.e.
4 cores work as 3.2 single cores. But that's not too bad - especially
after the recent price cut.