[Beowulf] scheduler policy design

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Thu Apr 26 06:29:03 EDT 2007

Bogdan Costescu <Bogdan.Costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:

> For example, if the queue is limited to 24h maximum runtime and they
> would set 24h as their requirement, thinking that it would certainly
> cover what they want and the job would not run anyway longer than
> that, as it would be killed by the scheduler.

We do advance reservation with backfill, so short jobs will on average
start sooner than long jobs. We find that this is sufficient
motivation for the users to at least try to set reasonable walltime

Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre    -      Linkoping University
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org