[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon Apr 16 14:34:36 EDT 2007

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 at 2:12pm, Robert G. Brown wrote

> Try installing two year old Centos AT ALL on six-month-old hardware, and
> I think that there is a very high probability that it will require a
> much larger investment in time backporting kernels and worse.

I think you underestimate the amount of driver back-porting RH puts into
point releases.  When I first got my dual woodcrest compute nodes, the
current CentOS point release (4.4) worked almost perfectly on them (a
network driver upgrade removed the "almost" from that statement).  Are the
app libraries out of date compared to Fedora?  Sure.  Are you more likely
to have success at this with "server" hardware than more desktop oriented
hardware?  Sure.  But the point is that RH does roll a lot of new hardware
support into their enterprise distro as it ages.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering