[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Mon Apr 16 13:13:07 EDT 2007

>> opinion: cmake is precisely the same sort of
>> ingrown-project-creates-own-tool-badly as aimk.
> Could you please expand on that a bit? I find to be a pretty good tool.

I only occasionally have to deal with it, so do not consider my
opinion to be authoritative.  as far as I can tell, it's a tool
that dates back to the days when everyone as inventing their own
way to do whole-tree builds.  X had a similar thing, and probably
dozens of other projects.  eventually, it became clear that using make
itself was the most sensible approach.

far more interesting is _configuring_ a whole tree.  do you use cmake
for this, as well?  that's the real point of the modern "./configure && make"
approach, and at least in the cases I've seen, cmake doesn't do this.

as a tangent, I certainly de-emphasize make when talking to users these days.
for a code that has less than, say 10 source files, all in one dir, it rarely
makes sense to use make - at least with the traditional separate-compilation
compile to .o, then link way.  compilers like getting all the source at once...

regards, mark hahn.