[Beowulf] SGI to offer Windows on clusters

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 16 02:44:47 EDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 10:01:58PM -0500, Mike Davis wrote:
> Joe is right about the stability factor.
>
> Stability, stability, stability.
>

> Mike Davis

Debian: released every 18 months - two years. Guaranteed to support
previous version for a year after release. Seamless upgrade path - well,
nearly :)

17,740 packages in Debian main. Pure 64 bit distribution. Some
Beowulf-type software already packed. Runs out of the box on
Alpha/Sun/AMD64 (and will deal with legacy 32 bit hardware
identically so that you can have the same app. on cluster and desktops
if you really must.)

Supported by (at least) HP (and IBM if you ask them) on their hardware.

Licence cost $0, annual Linux vendor support fee cost $0. Network
updates readily available from more than one mirror site per country
where feasible.

What's not to like ? :)

This very quickly, as I must get dressed for work. I'd like to come back
to this point in more detail later.

Andy