[Beowulf] RE: Stupid MPI programming question (Clements, Brent M (SAIC))

David Mathog mathog at caltech.edu
Thu Sep 28 13:04:13 EDT 2006

"Clements, Brent M \(SAIC\)" <brent.clements at bp.com> wrote:
> What is wierd is that(I haven't done error reporting yet):
>
> mkdir("NEWDIRNAME"); works(creates a directory in the current working
directory)

> but mkdir("/tmp/oooo/NEWDIRNAME") doesn't work, I even tried a
chdir(which came back succcessful) and then wrote the above
mkdir("NEWDIRNAME");

If

  /tmp/oooo

doesn't exist then

  mkdir /tmp/oooo/NEWDIRNAME

will fail with a  "No such file or directory" error.  Try it from the
command line - it does the same thing as the C function call.  On
Linux one can do:

  mkdir -p /tmp/oooo/NEWDIRNAME

and it will create the oooo on the fly.  However that isn't an option
in mkdir(), so you have to be careful that the parent directory exists
before trying to create another directory within it.

Regards,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu