[Beowulf] Looking for external RAID vendors

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Wed Sep 27 11:49:29 EDT 2006

> We've migrated to CoRAID ATA-over-Ethernet and enterprise-class SATA for most
> of our work with weather and ocean models here.

very interesting.  I (and I'm sure others) would appreciate any
further details.  approx size/config?  comments on performance?
stability of the AoE kernel interface seen by clients?  tools
for managing the server side of the picture?  does every disk
just show up separately, and available using normal tools
(esp for instance smartctl?)

also, afaikt, you can put together your own AoE servers without
any CoRAID parts.  I wonder if anyone has done that (thinking of
it mostly as a way to test the water without spending money...)

I think CoRAID is onto something - ethernet is one of the great
shining examples of an open standard that really does pretty much
work everywhere, among all hardware.

I'd also be interested to hear of any experiments or production
iSCSI systems...

thanks, mark.