NFS Performance (was Re: [Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86))

Chris Samuel csamuel at
Sat Sep 16 23:21:45 EDT 2006

On Sunday 17 September 2006 2:55 am, Mark Hahn wrote:

> so you couldn't have slapped a modern 2.6 kernel on it?  I've certainly
> put much newer kernels on old distros (though not any of the commercial RH
> variants so far.)

This was back in mid-late 2004 and (from memory) the versions of kernel
support packages like modutils on RHEL3 were too old to support 2.6 and it
was easier to just rebuild from scratch.

 Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing