[Beowulf] cluster softwares supporting parallel CFD computing

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Fri Sep 8 22:49:13 EDT 2006

"Vincent Diepeveen" <diep at xs4all.nl> writes:

> How about the latency to wake up that thread again. runqueue latency in linux is
> 10+ ms?

That assumes you have a 100Mhz clock (default is currently 250Mhz) and
you have something else running.  If you have something else running
yielding is even more of a win because you get something productive
done, when you would otherwise be idle.  Plus you the scheduler
will give your process a higher priority when it wakes up because
it slept.

In practice I don't expect anything interesting will happen in that time
interval.  So you should awake almost instantly.