[Beowulf] Re: Sun Project "blackbox"

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Wed Oct 25 17:02:15 EDT 2006

From: SIM DOG on Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:59 AM
> G'day all
> I remember hearing about the Australian army developing something
> similar with DEC (who?) back in the early 1980's. Idea was it had to
> robust enough for a sled drop out of the back of a Herc!
> Not sure how they handed the online storage. I doubt if your average
> 80's HDD could cope with that sort of shock.

There were some low-capacity severe environment drives available;
fixed-head (head-per-track) devices were one alternative, sold-state
another.  Rolm was one of the manufs, offering mil-versions of DG Nova
and Eclipse systems.

While I know from personal experience some of the drives HP sold
(HP-1000, remember them?) could take extreme abuse--operating near the
chain locker of a ship, with horrible vibrations during anchor ops--I
suspect a sled drop was out of scope...

My statements represent my opinions, not those of Intel Corporation