[Beowulf] non-proprietary IPMI card?

Bill Broadley bill at cse.ucdavis.edu
Tue Nov 28 21:00:03 EST 2006

I've heard of folks successfully getting the tyan card to work:
	http://www.tyan.com/products/html/m3291.html

At least the power up/down and reset functionality.  I've googled
prices in the $85-$100 range.  Not cheap, but not bad for what looks
like a relatively low volume product.

I suspect it wouldn't be to hard to get some of the additional monitoring
working, but you would likely have to make a custom cable to monitor/connect
what you want.  Hrm, I guess it's possible that they just got it working
with a tyan rebranded units (like a sunfire).  I'm not at all clear how it
takes over a network port.

Anyone else using these cards?

Does anyone know if IPMI can "share" a GigE port?  Or does it usually
require a dedicated port on the host?

In any case the card looks like it has a nice featureset and can be mounted
on a motherboard, in a drive bay, or in a pci slot.

Comments?