[Beowulf] onboard Gb lan: any opinion, sugestion or impression?

Jones de Andrade johannesrs at gmail.com
Tue Nov 14 08:26:29 EST 2006

Hi all.

Well, I've found some discussions within this list about brands of switches,
and some about network card brands also.

We came to a question here, in the cluster we are planning: how usefull are
the, now so common, onboard gigabit networks (even dual networks) that are
shipped in the motherboards? Great, bood, bad or terrible performance?
stability issues? Much concern about it's use for clusters? Is there any
example, or benchmark available of different onboard network chips in any
(cluster?) application?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Sincerally yours,

Jones