NFS Performance (was Re: [Beowulf] GPFS on Linux (x86))

Chris Samuel csamuel at
Wed Nov 8 21:51:45 EST 2006

On Tuesday 19 September 2006 19:55, Krugger wrote:

> Could it be that you are getting timeouts because you don't have
> enough nfsd daemons. This only might happen under heavy I/O load. And
> when there are thousands of operations floading the server sometimes
> it just has to drop some off the queue when the queue get full.

I had the number of NFS daemons up to around 128 at one point.  That only
succeeded in getting us a load average of 90+ with them all sitting around in
device waits.

FC3 with XFS worked just fine with the standard number of daemons.

Chris (catching up on old email)
 Victorian Partnership for Advanced Computing