[Beowulf] Thought that this might be of interest

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Mon Nov 6 06:57:14 EST 2006

On Sun, 5 Nov 2006 at 8:54am, Joe Landman wrote

> Initial benchmarks (2.6 GHz clock) put it at about 17% faster than Opteron
> 275 and Woodcrest 5150 (2.66 GHz) on a GAMESS test we use (1h41m for
> Woodcrest and 275, and 1h26m for this unit).

I'd be very interested to see any application benchmarks you've run.  In
my testing <http://www.duke.edu/~jlb17/optxeon.pdf>, Xeon 5140s blow the
doors off Opteron 270s -- moreso than the clockspeed difference would
indicate -- in almost all my benchmarks.  I was leaning the Xeon way for
any new purchases, but I haven't had a chance to test the new Opterons
yet.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering