[Beowulf] Static Compilation versus Dynamic Compilation

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Fri Mar 24 09:41:57 EST 2006

"Andrew D. Fant" <fant at pobox.com> writes:

> John Hearns wrote:
>> Eh? Install the libraries in /usr/local/xxxxx on the head node.
>> Export this as an NFS share. Mount on all nodes, and put it into your
>> IMHO, there is very little reason for installing APPLICATION level
>> libraries on individual nodes.
> uhm, aside from NFS being SLOW and not scaling well?

I really don't think the loading of dynamic libraries is performance
sensitive. The (non-dedicated) machine that serves /usr/local with all
our compiler and math libs to our 200 node cluster is idling along.

Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre    -      Linkoping University
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org