[Beowulf] Static Compilation versus Dynamic Compilation

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Mar 23 15:48:00 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 15:51 -0300, Ivan Silvestre Paganini Marin wrote:
> Hello everybody at beowulf list. I am compiling my application using PGI
> compilers for fortran 95, and some libraries, like fftw, lapack and
> scalapack (from PGI or not, like ACML). I am curious to see if a static
> compilated program is fastest than a dynamic one. Static has it's
> advantages (I will be running this application on several nodes, so if
> it is dynamic I will have to install the libraries on each node, etc),
Eh? Install the libraries in /usr/local/xxxxx on the head node.
Export this as an NFS share. Mount on all nodes, and put it into your
IMHO, there is very little reason for installing APPLICATION level
libraries on individual nodes.

Of course, having said that our Score compiled applications are static,
and perform very well thankyou.