[Beowulf] Static Compilation versus Dynamic Compilation

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Mar 23 15:48:00 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 15:51 -0300, Ivan Silvestre Paganini Marin wrote:
> Hello everybody at beowulf list. I am compiling my application using PGI
> compilers for fortran 95, and some libraries, like fftw, lapack and
> scalapack (from PGI or not, like ACML). I am curious to see if a static
> compilated program is fastest than a dynamic one. Static has it's
> advantages (I will be running this application on several nodes, so if
> it is dynamic I will have to install the libraries on each node, etc),
Eh? Install the libraries in /usr/local/xxxxx on the head node.
Export this as an NFS share. Mount on all nodes, and put it into your
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
IMHO, there is very little reason for installing APPLICATION level
libraries on individual nodes.

Of course, having said that our Score compiled applications are static,
and perform very well thankyou.