[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Mike Davis jmdavis1 at vcu.edu
Mon Jun 12 12:40:34 EDT 2006

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> We will confront you with your statement in a few years from now.
>
> If microsoft doesn't price their server/cluster stuff too expensive then
> in X years from
> now they'll dominate the highend market. Microsoft always has just taken
> markets by
> storming in giving away copies of their software for near free initially.
>
> Competition is hardly possible against that from software viewpoint.

Yea, we all remember the astounding success of Warewulf. Just how often
did those free dual boot machines actually boot M$?

I can see the point that instrument manufacturers may use this. They
already often use MS for their control systems in the Life Sciences.
Luckily, the nmr's, and x-ray machines don't.

Mike