[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

matt jones jamesjamiejones at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 07:09:58 EDT 2006

Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

 > In fact i'm not amazed if you soon call every windows machine a server,
 > because it runs 'services' that are clear server services.

this is very true of most machienes i use (within windows networking).
they all run file sharing, as part of windows, which means they are
servers by definition.

but if you categorise into intended purpose like:

thin clients,

it is not a server because thats not it's purpose as a whole. it is a
PC, and part of it being my PC is that it has to be able to share my
files so i can get them elsewhere.

so yea it is a server, some of the time, but most windows (mainstreem
9x, and nt, which XP is part of) are not used for this purpose of being
a server at all, they are mainly desktop PCs.

likewise linux, unix, and any other OS can be called any of the above.
it depends on how you use it.

matt jones,

this e-mail has been virus scanned,
sent from a workstation called: matts, IP address:, Subnet