[Beowulf] MS HPC... Oh dear...

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jun 12 09:51:11 EDT 2006

At 09:59 PM 6/11/2006, Gerry Creager N5JXS wrote:
>Joe, et al,
>Unfortunately, we find, time and time again, when Microsoft comes in to
>tell us how good they're gonna do something, there's a catch.
>Here, it remains simple to me: I can tweak the OS if I need to, and I can
>tweak the apps.  With a Windows solution fo rmy cluster environment, I
>certainly can't tweak the OS.  I'm half-way to dead in the water.

I don't think that MS is looking to get people to convert their existing
clusters from Linux to Windows. More that they are trying to address a
slightly different market than those for which tweaking the OS is
needed.  That is, your style of operation and development is not in their
projected customer base (although, from a "big corporate strategy"
viewpoint, getting rid of Linux clusters does have value, viz. the
Halloween documents)