writing skills Re: [Beowulf] Re: about clusters in high schools

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Mon Jan 30 16:05:12 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 30, 2006 at 10:27:55AM -0600, Timothy W. Moore wrote:

> I went through an exercise to try and hire a good young engineer a few
> years ago.  I wanted to unload, reduce the hours I work, and start
> traveling with my wife.  I gave up the search because I wanted an
> engineer (US citizenship required) with programming skills.  Some of the

Given the current education and job environment in the USA, I suspect
that was your mistake.  Competent young engineer/programmers right out
of school no doubt exist, but are rare.  Better to look for someone
who has the aptitude to learn to be an excellent programmer.  But of
course, that's a LOT harder to do, which you no doubt knew...

> applicants asked "What is FORTRAN"?  The only applicants with

Well, as a first pass heuristic, rule THOSE folks out right away.  :)

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com/