[Beowulf] using two separate networks for different data streams

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Thu Jan 26 17:06:31 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 18:56 +0000, Ricardo Reis wrote:
> Hi
>
>   I've looked around, in the list and google and didn't find anything
> elucidating enough on this so mabe someone could englight me or point me
> where to look.

We ship quite a few clusters configured like this.
One gigabit switch handles the 'housekeeping' and NFS traffic.
The other switch handles the MPI traffic. As Douglas says, most
motherboards come with two gigabit interfaces these days, so you need a
second set of cabling and a second set of switches.
In our case, the SCore environment uses MAC addresses, so there's no
need to configure separate hostnames.