[Beowulf] Re: removing tiles around heavy racks?

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Sat Jan 7 03:36:45 EST 2006

> As for hopping, you're right that if the units were sitting flat on
> the concrete floor it would take >1g acceleration to make them hop.

I've seen many machine rooms with painted concrete floors. I think they
are a good idea in terms of cable management - the ceiling is fitted
with unistrut, and there are cable baskets suspended from this.

Such a setup doesn't provide forced air cooling via vents at the front
of the racks. I suppose a system of flexible vents, or maybe even better
a coupling to the bottom of the rack itself would be a good idea.

Also from the point of view of hard working system installers, you just
roll a rack right in there. No need to get it up a sep or a ramp which
is common in rooms which were not originally purpose-built to have a
raised floor.