[Beowulf] 'dual' Quad solution from Tyan

Farul Mohd. Ghazali farulg at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 10:38:50 EST 2006

On 2/28/06, Douglas Eadline <deadline at clustermonkey.net> wrote:
> > who says it's so great?  the HT fabric is pretty far from a "perfect"
> > low-latency 16-port crossbar, for instance.  also, is it really cheaper?
> > how about if you compare to four 2-socket DC nodes?
> >

> Running benchmarks to get price/performance data seems to be the only
> way to answer such questions.

So has anyone out there actually run any benchmarks on these machines?
Is HT really that bad compared to a specialized low latency

I'm configuring a small cluster for some people and the prices for 16
node x 4-core with Myrinet/Infiniband/Quadrics is close enough to a
Tyan VX50 4 node x 16-core system also with Myrinet etc. The apps that
will run are MPI based molecular dynamics and maybe some CFD code.

I tried signing up at the AMD Devcenter to get access to their
clusters for benchmarking but it's been weeks and still no response.