[Beowulf] "dual" Quad solution from Tyan

Ricardo Reis rreis at aero.ist.utl.pt
Mon Feb 27 15:49:23 EST 2006

  Hi all

  I'm responsible for the aquisition of my labs new cluster. I already had
a specification made and all when I crossed with this at an presentation
here, in Portugal. The target machine I was looking for was 8 node with
dual processor Opteron (16 CPU). The machine that was at the presentation
is

http://www.cybernex.co.uk/tyan_vx50_quad_opteron_servers.htm

which means 8 CPU, dual core. And all are connect with hypertransport
which meand I got ready of latency I figure. So...

  1. Does anyone has any experience with this machine
  2. Does anyone has any experience with this motherboard
  3. Does anyone has interesting remarks to do about it?

The professor head of the lab wants me to know "if that is so good why
isn't everyone buying one?"

  if you could please help answer I would be most obliged.

  many thanks,

  Ricardo Reis

  "Non Serviam"

  n.p.: http://radio.ist.utl.pt
  n.r.: http://atumtenorio.blogspot.com
                     <- Send with Pine Linux/Unix/Win/Mac OS->