[Beowulf] g77 limits...

Kozin, I (Igor) i.kozin at dl.ac.uk
Wed Feb 22 17:07:51 EST 2006

> > archives because it is so time dependent an answer.  In particular, can
> > an x64 box with a modern linux kernel and a modern g77 allocate 4-8 GB
>
> isn't "modern g77" a bit of an oxymoron?
> (given the existence of gfortran, I mean).

Oh, I was totally confused by the combination "g77" and "allocate".

Robert, try g95. Although it is not part of the gnu stream but
it seems more stable at the moment. It works stand alone.
Allocating (nearly) 4GB in a single array worked for me
(unfortunately no more physical memory is available).
However in terms of performance you may lose considerably
compared to commercial compilers.