[Beowulf] Apologies for the spam/virus yesterday

Sean Dilda sean at duke.edu
Wed Feb 8 16:57:54 EST 2006

Donald Becker wrote:

> The bottom line is that we are considering a message board format to
> replace the mailing list.  It would have required logins to
> post, and retroactive moderation to delete advertising and trolls.
> Any opinions?

I'd really not see it go that way.  I'm on a couple dozen mailing lists
all sorted to their own folders.  I have one mail client I start up and
shows me all the incoming mail I have in each folder.  During the day,
all I have to do is glance at thunderbird, and I know if there are
messages to read or not.   If it were a message board, it would require
an intentional effort to go to that board to read the messages.  I
wouldn't read them as much, and would likely forget to keep going back
after a couple days.  I imagine there are others in the same boat, which
would cause readership to shrink quite a bit.

There's something to be said for the laziness of having the message come
to me.  Especially since I have to have thunderbird open for work anyways.

If the official beowulf.org discussion group moved to a web forum, I for
one would be interested in joining (and possibly starting) an alternate
forum that is email based.  However, I'd much prefer to just have this
list stay as it is.