[Beowulf] SATA II - PXE+NFS - diskless compute nodes

Buccaneer for Hire. buccaneer at rocketmail.com
Sat Dec 9 22:44:01 EST 2006

> no, I really meant to put one admin server (1u is fine) in each rack.
> I'd already have a Gb switch and possibly a high-speed interconnect
> leaf in the rack if possible.  a modular approach like this cuts
> down on cabling and out-of-rack traffic.

No place to put it in the rack. these are blades. But they do have 3 Cisco bricks
with their own private pathway between them so I can connect each server to a
local switch.

> if your logs are enough to interfere with other traffic, something's wrong.
> but perhaps you don't look at your logs as much as I do (which is why
> I want them coalesced.)

Too many nodes and not enough time, and I mostly manage by exception.
If it is running well I don't want to have to keep an eye on it.  We have a
daemon that collects information on each node and keeps an eye on the
local log file. Then we have capture the serial console into a log file.

Want to start your own business?
Learn how on Yahoo! Small Business.
http://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/r-index