[Beowulf] SATA II

John Hearns john.hearns at streamline-computing.com
Tue Dec 5 17:45:13 EST 2006

Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 05, 2006 at 12:07:36PM -0500, Mark Hahn wrote:
>>> 1-Regarding OS, is "Fedora Core 64bit" a good option for AMD Athlon 64 X2
>>> 4200+?
>> sure.  distros are just desktop decoration, and anything recent will
>> perform equally well.  you do probably want 64b, but that's not rare.
>>
> Think carefully about what it is you are looking to do. Fedora is
> relatively "bleeding edge" and has a very short lifetime - typically a
> year or 18 months of support. If you are looking to build a large

I agree with what Andrew says.

I would give some very serious consideration to
SuSE Linux - which has a reputation for better support for 64-bit
processors and the latest SATA/SAS controllers.
There is the free professional version or SLES.

On the Redhat side, give consideration to Redhat Enterprise.
Or one of the Redhat-alike recompiles. I'm hinting at Scientific Linux
here. Yes, SL 4 may not have the very latest leading edge kernel, but it
does have a long suport lifetime.