[Beowulf] xCAT 1.2.0 finally released
benone.marcos at gmail.com
Wed Apr 5 21:04:26 EDT 2006
From xCAT dev team:
xCAT 1.2.0 (after 3+ years of development, and 2+ years late) has released.
FYI, 1.2.0 development started January 2003 and xCAT development started
Changes since 1.1.x:
1. Too many to list. Read the change log.
Changes since 1.2.0-RC3:
1. RH4U3 support.
2. CentOS 4.3 support.
3. CentOS 3.6 support.
4. RHFC5 support.
5. Minor fixes.
1.2.1 is under development. Now that 1.2.0 is released you can safely
upgrade to any 1.2.x release without updating your tables or templates.
1.2.x will be in maintenance mode while 1.3.x is under development. New
OSes and other features will continue to be added to 1.2.x, but no major
architectural changes will be made.
1.3.x goals (goals not promises):
1. Drop ksh.
2. Rewrite in Perl. Bash, Expect, and Awk OK (OK, Python too, but no
3. Drop ia64 and x86 (x86_64, ppc64, cell support only). Others can be
added if required.
4. 2.6 kernel and later OSes only. Windows OK.
5. Drop support for legacy service processors. IPMI, Bladecenter, APC as a
base, more to be added as needed.
6. All commands to be client/server (no more NFS mounting /opt/xcat).
Audit, logging, queuing, permissions, etc... enforced.
7. Tables optional (can use DB).
8. Some sort of GUI.
9. Beta delivered before the next total eclipses of our sun.
10. What do you want?
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org
To change your subscription (digest mode or unsubscribe) visit http://www.beowulf.org/mailman/listinfo/beowulf
More information about the Beowulf