[Beowulf] hpl size problems

Mark Hahn hahn at physics.mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 30 22:07:40 EDT 2005

> Did I mention that the latest redhattish OS Gaussian will support on i386
> is Red Hat 9? And that in general they will not support you if you install
> security patches?

jeez.  the whole concept of support is an interesting one.  the owner's
manual for your car doesn't have a list of "supported" roads, for instance.
the car is warranted against all defects under normal conditions/etc.
all driving/roads are supported except abusive ones.

we expect carmakers to fix defective vehicles.  and yet, we somehow do this
without the auto equivalent of some super-LSB standard, ABI, testsuite.
if your new car has a wobbly rearview mirror, they fix it.  why is that so
hard in the software world?  it's sad...