[Beowulf] hpl size problems

Leif Nixon nixon at nsc.liu.se
Fri Sep 30 06:15:59 EDT 2005

Robert G. Brown <rgb at phy.duke.edu> writes:

> I remember well and with no regrets managing all kinds of software that
> one had to kludge together solutions for back in the /usr/local days.
> This is one of the things that MOTIVATED application packaging and FSH
> -- splitting up applications into multiple, non-standard paths does NOT
> scale well and can NOT handle arbitrarily complex package installation
> requirements without work, and the work required to MAKE it work is
> immense and would be done slightly differently by every two people who
> ever tried it (so all that work isn't even reusable).  Bad, bad, bad.

So what about us poor souls who need to have several versions of the
same package installed in parallel? Like five gcc versions, two Dalton
versions, two Gaussian (spit!) versions, three Molcas versions, two
Matlab versions...

--
Leif Nixon                       -            Systems expert
National Supercomputer Centre    -      Linkoping University