[Beowulf] Re: 1U Athlon64 X2 server in Europe/Germany?

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Mon Sep 26 21:33:26 EDT 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2005 11:06:11 +0200
>From: Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org>
>Subject: [Beowulf] 1U Athlon64 X2 server in Europe/Germany?
>Any suggestions for sources of inexpensive Athlon64 X2 (I presume
>Opterons are considerably more expensive, maybe a single
>dual-core Opteron would do as well) 1U rackmount servers (GBit Ethernet,
>SATA), in Europe, preferrably Germany?
Actually, with AMDs recent price updates, the dual core Opterons and
Athlon64 X2's are pretty well the same price, given same clocspeed and
cache size.

For example the AMD OSA175 PIB/FAN (2.2GHz, 1MB cache per core) is $654,
while the A64 4400 X2 is $645..

Plus, the new Opteron 1xx family are coming out in Socket 939
immediately, so frankly the only differentiation will be capability of
using registered ECC RAM.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius        Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.         FAX:       01-780-456-9772
Edmonton, AB, Canada       http://www.harddata.com/