[Beowulf] OT: PXE boot with no control over DHCP?

David Mathog mathog at mendel.bio.caltech.edu
Wed Sep 21 13:08:28 EDT 2005

This is a bit off topic but here goes anyway...

On our beowulf's private subnet I control the DHCP server and
have all the nodes set to PXE boot.  What happens after that
PXE boot is controlled by the DHCP server: they either load an
image, or the dhcp server doesn't specify a boot file and then
the boot off their internal disks.

I have a set of workstations I want to be able to reimage
on the campus net using similar tools.  Preferably remotely
(the workstations will boot if sent a WOL).  However the campus
network folks block dhcp servers other than their own on the
campus nets.  Consequently even if I set these machines to
PXE boot there seems to be no way I could control the process.

Can any of you suggest a way to control a PXE boot without
having control over DHCP on the local subnet net?

Thanks,

David Mathog
mathog at caltech.edu